The footers in a2ps

I have installed a2ps version 4.13b-4.3 on Debian 3.1 stable with the 2.4 linux kernel. The program works well with the exception that I cannot get any of the three footers to print. I have gone over the documentation, search the archives, and reinstalled the program but nothing seems to work. I wonder if the code for the footers was complied into this version. I didn't download the source code and probable couldn't understand it if I had it in hand. Does anyone understand what is happening and have any suggestions as how to fix it.
Thanks.

--
"A government by secrecy benefits no one. It injures the people it seeks to serve; it damages its own integrity and operation. It breeds distrust, dampens the fervor of its citizens and mocks their loyalty."

-- 110 Congressional Record 17, 087 (1964) (Statement of Senator Long)