Re: gdm, kdm, xdm can't startkde

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:37:46 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:

> Hi people,
> This one's driving me crazy. I'm running Debian Etch 2.6.8-2-386 and
> recently "upgraded" from xfree86 to xorg. Everything is fine except this
> one problem. I can't start kde (my desktop of preference nor gnome nor xfce
> from any display manager. Say I'm using gdm. I boot up and the gdm screen
> comes on as usual and I login normally but instead of going into kde (or
> gnome or xfce) an xterm opens. I can then enter (as me, not root)
> "startkde" and everything is fine after that. I've read about similar
> problems dating as far back as 2001 but none of the solutions I've tried
> has helped. My .xsession-errors file gives me this:
>
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Executing /usr/bin/startkde failed, will try to run
> x-terminal-emulator
>
> which is not very helpful. It doesn't tell me WHY startkde failed. I've
> checked in various /var/log's but nothing revealing has appeared.
>
> If I use kdm I get into an infinite loop. Selecting kde and logging in just
> takes you right back to the login window and round and round we go.

Actually, it does tell you..  It is saying it can't find the startkde
script in /usr/bin.  At the command line type which startkde and it will
tell you what directory it is located in..  My guess is maybe /opt/kde/bin
or maybe some other 'not so usual' directory...  then in
/usr/share/xsessons, edit the kde.desktop file and change the 'exec' and
'try exec' lines to the correct path to your startkde script..

mr mike..