Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Fritz Brown wrote:
> Help!  I have recently begun an attempt to install Debian on a Sony laptop (Mobile AMD K6-2 550MHz, 64MB RAM), and am thoroughly overwhelmed with choices about which I know nothing!
>
> I only need the ability to dial-up and network, surf the internet (I have Opera for Linux ready to install), and do some Office type stuff (I have OpenOffice for Linux ready to install, as well) at this point.  But, when installing, I am faced with long lists of packages that I must choose whether to install.  Can anybody give me a good list of what to choose?  I am installing Debian 3.0 r4 i3.

First of all, you're trying to install the old version of Debian.  You'll
want to install version 3.1r0a (sarge).  The installer is much better than
3.0.  Also, on the installation, I'd just install the "desktop" option.  If
 you need any packages later, I'd just use aptitude or synaptic to install
the packages you want.