Digital Voice Recorders/iRiver T30

A report and a request for advice:

After doing some research, I decided to buy an iRiver T30 for use as a
small digital voice recorder for meetings, interviews, and so on. It's a
very cool little device and the sound quality is also amazing.

However, as far as I can tell, it doesn't work at all under linux. It
shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=03 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 12 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=4102 ProdID=1119 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=iriver Limited
S:  Product=iriver T30
S:  SerialNumber=

but doesn't load any usb drivers. The website (and the brain-dead user
support person) says it works only under Windows XP. Connecting it to a
Windows box shows it as an "MTP Media Player", suggesting that it is not
in fact in UMS mode where it would work as mass storage.

I am now planning on just returning the things and getting a different
one, unless someone can provide a good solution.

That returns me, though, to the search for a suitable voice recorder that
is useable with linux. Specifically, my ideal model would:
- Have long (8+ hours) battery life;
- Record in a linux-friendly format (not, e.g., Olympus's DSS format);
- Have removeable flash media, like an SD or xD card; and
- Record at least 8 hours or so in mono, long-play mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu