Re: No Starch Press releases _The Debian System_ by Martin Krafft

On Thursday 15 September 2005 13:58, Roberto C. Sanchez
<roberto@familiasanchez.net>
(<[🔎] 20050915195812.GB32613@miami.familiasanchez.net>) wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:29:41PM -0600, Jules Dubois wrote:
>> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>>
>> Media contact: Patricia Witkin
>> patricia@nostarch.com
>> 415.863.9900 x303
>>
>> NEW BOOK EXPLAINS DEBIAN STRUCTURE AND PHILOSOPHY
>>
>> Insights into Debian project and operating system shed light on its
>> growing appeal
>
> While appreciate the hard work that Martin has done on his book, and the
> general interest about it on this list, I think that advertising it like
> this goes against the Debian mailing list advertising policy [0].

It was clearly an "advertisement" by the dictionary definition.  OTOH, it's
not spam as I posted exactly one copy here (and nowhere else).  It doesn't
seem to me to be a violation of Debian policy, which I've just read for the
first time; if it is a violation, I apologize.

> I don't mean to imply that Martin had anything to with this, simply that
> there are lists for announcement of commercial products related to
> Debian.

I was the only one involved.  I don't know Mr Krafft and I'm not in any way
involved with the book, its publisher(s), distributor(s), etc.  I saw the
announcement, as I indicated, on comp.os.linux.announce and copied it
verbatim to this mailing list.