rsync won't transfer large files?

I am using rsync to mirror dirs between two sarge machines. rsync starts to work ok, building a long list of subdirs, etc.. but when it starts to transfer a large file, suddenly, it just stops working. I don't see any activity in either machines nor the switch. I won't abort as well, so I control+c it.
What's wrong?

The command is:

rsync -avz /home/bruno/Documentos bruno@gigante:/mnt/backup/

the switches were extracted from the man page.

The rsync version is 2.6.4-6.

Both machines are debian sarge. Local is kernel 2.6.12-5 and remote is 2.6.8-2-386.

The 'large file'  is 154MB.

thanks!