How to detect that runlevel switch is done

Hi everyone,

is there a standard way how to detect that switching the runlevel has finished?

Our target machines are standalone running industrial PC's normally operating at RL 3. When an event occurs we want to switch RL 2. Some applications from RL 3 need a few seconds to terminate. Further work (f.e. installing new versions of those applications) is only allowed when they have completely gone.
/var/run/utmp (Which is read by the command "runlevel") is changed immediately at the "beginning" of the RL switch.

We working with Sarge on x86 machines.

Thanx for your answers
Reinhard

Versendet durch aonWebmail (webmail.aon.at)