Re: Help with starting Totem

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:45:39 -0400
"[KS]" <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I was advised in the #debian-women irc channel to
> use totem-xine as gstreamer was a resource hog. I tried totem-xine and
> it works perfectly now.

I don't know about the resources thing. I don't really notice any
issues from that standpoint, but I have 512 MB ram. With less you may
notice a difference.

There is still work to be done on the gstreamer video stuff to bring it
up to snuff. And it has only been the most recent 3 or 4 versions in
Unstable that work good enough to allow me to view the majority of
stuff I can view with the other players, Mplayer, Xine, and/or VLC,
playback can still be choppy at times when it is not in other players
and seeking within a video doesn't always work, but it has come a long
way over the last 6 months.

With the xine back end totem should be able to play back anything that
xine can play.

One thing I keep overlooking because I am not really a big fan of KDE
is that the arts sound daemon is a bad citizen and grabs exclusive
access to your audio hardware and the arts plugin for gstreamer has
never been functional for me so if the arts sound daemon is enabled on
your system that could have been the source of the conflict your were
seeing.

The arts sound daemon is not the only thing that makes bad assumptions
about the capabilities of the audio hardware/driver combination based
on the limitation that the majority probably have, but it is the most
annoying because it is used by KDE and even if you don't run KDE as
your desktop KDE applications may use it anyway.

I don't know if Nforce and newer Via audio hardware still have the
limitation that only allows one application to access the hardware at
a time, but at least in the case of Nforce I have seen claims that it is
as good as the Sound Blaster Live (?) so one could hope this limitation
is broken.

Later, Seeker