kernel version and gcc's

Hi,

Do I have to install the gcc that corresponding to what was using when my
kernel was compiled?

Googling on the web tells me that it might not be necessary. But I
get the following message when trying to compile modules for vmare:

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.4.3", while you are trying to use
"/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.0.1". This configuration is not supported and VMware
Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile your
kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.0.1", or restart /usr/bin/vmware-config.plwith CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version "3.4.3".

I applied the latest any-to-any patch, but still the runme.pl stopped. Do
I have to install a 3.4 version of gcc before proceeding?

Thanks