Re: 6Gb of invisible files, or what?

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:52 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Juha Pahkala wrote:
>
> > Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> > No, actually Oliver was 100% correct, I somehow had some dvb
> > recordings under one of my nfs mount points and they took up the space
> > that didn't show up using du.
>
> Ok, I guess I don't understand why df would report such high disk
> usage.  Does it have something to do with nfs caching data locally or
> something?

df reports from the device what space is available and what is used.  du
examines the filesystem.  When another filesystem is mounted on a
mountpoint, the portion of the original filesystem below the mount point
is concealed by the newly mounted filesystem.  The two utilities are
answering different questions.

Because of the different ways they work, du cannot answer the question
"How much space is left?" and df cannot answer the question "How much of
the used space is visible in the filesystem?"
   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html