Re: 6Gb of invisible files, or what?

Oliver Elphick wrote:

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:44 +0300, Juha Pahkala wrote:
But today I found out, that out of my 10Gb root partition df only shows around 300Mb free!

So, I started looking and trying to find out what took all this disk space. But I didn't get very far. As previously, I used du on all the directories on root level / to see, which directory was excessively large. But using du, I only managed to find a bit under 4Gb of files! And now I'm wondering where the difference comes from and what can I do about it?

Can anybody help me here, to free up some disk space, to help me understand what's going on?

Do you have any extra partitions mounted?  If so, any contents of the
mount directories will be concealed (but will still take space, of
course).
It's the other way around. He's getting the problem with df (which is by partition), and not with du.