NGROUPS_MAX in sarge

I'm running into the 32 group per user limit on a server running sarge and
kernel 2.6.  There's no NFS involved, so kernel-patch-nfs-ngroups would
not seem to be relevant.

As far as I can tell (e.g. the thread culiminating at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2004/06/msg00034.html), the main
problem at this point is the value of NGROUPS_MAX when glibc is compiled.

What's the simplest and most maintainable way to resolve this to get much
more than 32 groups per user?  I'd really rather not recompile glibc and
become my own glibc maintainer, but I'd also rather not move this server
to testing/unstable.  Is there an easier workaround?  Should I start
trying to do what I want with ACLs instead?

--
==============================|   "A microscope locked in on one point
 Rob Funk <rfunk@funknet.net> |Never sees what kind of room that it's in"