Re: ext3 and rsync problem

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 08:49 -0700, Ric Otte wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:07:41AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Does tar succeed as well?
> >
> Yes, I believe so.  I just copied several directories using tar, and
> fsck says everything is fine.
>
> One thing I notice is that while copying the files (using either cp or
> rsync (and also tar, although I didn't pay as much attention), is that
> according to top, Xfree86 is often using up to 78-99% of the cpu, and
> things are very sluggish for a few seconds after the copying is done.
> Every few seconds Xfree86 will go to the top of top with a high cpu
> usage.  This is puzzling to me, because I'm using fluxbox with 3 open
> rxvt terminals.

Xorg does that with me, too, but that's because I have integrated
video, which is a POS (but a compromise you make in older SFF
systems) and uses the vesa driver.

What if you pipe stdout to a text file?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA USA

"The trouble with children is that they are not returnable."
Quentin Crisp