Re: kernel performance

Paras pradhan wrote:

hi:

i want to build a custom 2.6.x kernel for desktop systems. i have
build kernel 2.6.12-3 successfully , but the performace of the kernel
2.4.27-1-386 ( from debian sid mirror ) is much better  than kernel
2.6.12-3 that i built from source. for ex: in kernel 2.4.27-1 if it
takes 5 minutes to burn a CD, it will take around 20 minutes in my
customized kernel.  Also running 2 or more applications is very sppedy
in 2.4.27-1 than my custom built kernel.

what shouild i add in .confi g before building my 2.6.x keries so that
the perfomance will be equal or better than 24.x series kernel.

Thanks
Paras.
You are taking two steps at a time. I would first install a 2.6.12 kernel from Debian (apt-cache search linux-image) and compare its performance with the custom built kernel.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE