Re: reinstall lilo after windows

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> > > I know it will fire my bootloader (lilo on the MBR)

to wipe out the mbr
	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=448 count=1

	aka:  fdisk /mbr
	aka:  reformat/reinstalling :-)

to install the mbr
	dd if=working-mbr  of=/dev/hda bs=448 count=1

> > If you have a floppy drive, one of these should work:
> >
> > use 'mkboot' to make a boot floppy (easiest)

to make a boot floppy

	dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 ; sync
	wait for the fd idiot light to go off :-)

to make a lilo boot floppy with regular lilo options
	vi /etc/lilo.conf
		boot=/dev/fd0

	lilo	# create the MBR on the floppy instead

to make a grub boot floppy...
	- save this task for last .. if you wanna have fun

> mkboot only works if you have lilo installed.

those commands and gazillion other equivalent/similarly
named commands all have assumptions in order to work

> > or, get tomsrtbt to rerun lilo.
> >
> > http://www.toms.net/rb/

requires that you have a working lua script language tool
to create the new standalone boot floppy

-----------

boot any standalone boot floppy or cd or cf or usb-stick

	mount /dev/your-disk  /mnt/dead-boot-disk
	chroot /mnt/dead-boot-disk
	lilo  or  "grub-install /dev/your-disk"
	exit
	reboot

----------

more gazillion ways to make a device bootable

> So much study I found it easier to install and configure lilo even though
> my system already booted with grub.  My son is suspicious of grub.  Last
> year when he installed Debian using grub as bootloader, it hosed but
> WinXP installation.

whatever bootloader you use will ALWAYS wipe out the previously installed
MBR if you write to the same location ... ( /dev/hda  vs /dev/hda1 vs
/dev/hda2, ... )

if you want dual boot ...
	- you have to explicitly create the dual-boot config files
	( lilo.conf or ( grub.conf aka menu.lst ) )

>  He now uses lilo and boots Linux *only* from a floppy.

sometimes paranoia is a good thing ... until one understands
what the silly apps do when you tell it "go ahead and wipe out my disk"

> By the way, does anyone know how to tell lilo that although the boot
> and root partitions are all on /dev/hda, it should make a boot floppy
> that boots from /dev/hdc instead,

vi lilo.conf
	boot = /dev/fd0

	root = /dev/hda1