Editing Gnome menus in gnome 2.10

Rats, it's happened again. An upgrade clobbered my custom Gnome menus
and there's no visible way to add them back in. Nautilus no longer has a
location bar where you can enter applications:///.

Searching the list shows that editing menus has gone away in gnome 2.10.
When is this ability expected to be resurrected?

That same message indicated that menu items can be added to
~/.local/share/applications. I managed to recreate some menu items by
following the examples in /usr/share/applications, but I couldn't figure
out how to create sub-menus. Any HOWTOs there?