Re: hostap and intersil prism

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to set up an Intersil Prism PCI card as a wireless
> accesspoint with the hostap driver.  I have found several HOWTOs on the
> net, and they all follow about the same procedure (most of them Red Hat
> based though).

than, i'd say you didn't look hard enough or long enough, as there's
tons on non-rh specific hostap howto's

the rest of the driver collection
	http://www.Linux-Wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/

> wlan0     No such device

it means the driver you used didn't find any hardware

> lspci -v
> 0000:00:07.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890
> [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)

if this part# ISL3890 is NOT listed in the hostap hw list,
your hw is NOT supported

	http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

since it is listed, get the latest version from
	http://prism54.org/download/

--------

consider all wifi packets sniffed and cracked even with wep and some wpa

use ssh and some vpn if you're paranoid

c ya
alvin