Re: dist-upgrade failure

Steven Van Cleave wrote:

> On my Sarge (stable), 2.6.8-2-686, $ 'apt-get dist-upgrade' produces the
> following error text:
>
> >ldconfig:  Writing of cache data failed
> >dpkg: error processing zlib1g (--configure):
> >subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> >Errors were encountered while processing: zlib1g
>
> I've done a fairly thorough search of solution sources without success.
>  Running df yields:

> /dev/hda1             250M  250M     0 100% /
> tmpfs                 253M     0  253M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda9              66G   15G   49G  23% /home
> /dev/hda8             361M  8.1M  334M   3% /tmp
> /dev/hda5             4.6G  4.1G  313M  93% /usr
> /dev/hda6             2.8G  470M  2.2G  18% /var
> tmpfs                  10M  772K  9.3M   8% /dev
>
> This just started happening and I'm not sure why.  Any helpful
> suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

That's most likely because your root partition (/) is full, and it's
trying to write to the /etc directory - which is included in your root
partition.

You could either delete something you don't need on the root partition
to give yourelf some wiggle room (as previously mentioned), or you could
consider adding some disk space to the root partition by resizing it.
Looks like you have plenty of elbow room on the drive (especially in
your /home partition) to do the resizing.

You can get a better look at your overall partition layout by running
'fdisk -l /dev/hda' (as root), and you can get the output into a text
file with 'fdisk -l /dev/hda > filename'

Tom