Re: Laptop choice to run debian

On Friday 09 September 2005 07:39 am, Josh Battles wrote:
> antgel said:
> > Josh Battles wrote:
> >> I've got to agree with the others here that the IBM ThinkPad is a
> >> wonderful laptop to run Debian on.  I installed Ubuntu on my T42
> >> and it detected everything right out of the box and configured it
> >> all correctly.  The only thing I had to do was manually setup my
> >> wifi card and the scroll button for the trackpoint device.
> >
> > Ubuntu Is Not Debian.
>
> Yes it is true that Ubuntu is not Debian, however since it is Debian
> based I felt that this was a relevant response.  Perhaps I should
> have mentioned that I installed Sarge on it before I installed
> Ubuntu, and had to do exactly the same amount of post-install
> configuration with both distros.

I do think there is enough difference between Debian & Ubuntu,
technically, that they need to have separate support, which each does.
Ubuntu is diverging from Debian at, to me , a fast pace, it just used
the .deb package system. It wouldn't suprise me if they stoped
supporting dselect ;-)
--
Greg Madden