Re: How to setup a ftp/http server to enable network install in a lan?

Am Mittwoch, 31. August 2005 04:44 schrieb Liu Zhen:
[...]
> I want to use the ISOs in my LAN to continue the install, but I can not
> figure out how to setup a correct http/ftp path to enable the install.
> Does anybody know how to setup a http/ftp server to enable a install in
> LAN? Thank you.

I don't think you can use the ISOs directly. But here's one way to use the
packages on the ISOs:

1. loop-mount the iso to some directory (or burn them on cd)
2. copy all .deb files from the ISO to some directory in the webserver root,
e.g. /var/www/debs. Directory structure doesn't matter.

3. cd to that directory
4. run "dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip > Packages.gz" in that directory
5. make sure the webserver user www-data has read privileges on that directory
6. on a client add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list (above the official
debian sources):
deb http://<server-IP>/debs ./

I did this myself for the first 6 CDs and it works good. Of course there are
special tools for creating a real debian mirror, but this is quite easy and
I don't need the whole debian archive at home...

cheers,
Guido