Sarge/Gnome - cdrom0 disappears on reboot and grip locks up

I am using Debian Sarge with Gnome on a P4 with an IDE CD-R drive.

If I open the "Computer" icon and click on the "CD ROM 1" icon, I get a
message

"Unable to mount the selected volume - mount: mount point /media/cdrom0
does not exist".

If I use a root terminal to create directory /media/cdrom0, then I am
able to mount the CD.

However, if I reboot, /media/cdrom0 disappears!

My /etc/fstab contains:

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

Also. I am having strange problems when I use grip, which may or may not
be related to the first problem.
Sometimes both grip and gnome-cd lock up and cannot be deleted even by
using a kill -9.

Any ideas?

Jack Dodds