RE: my first raid disaster on reboot :o( update2

I unmounted my md7 and md8.

Left hda and hdc as a single partition
set hdb and hdd to 160gig ( cos hdd was 4 gig bigger !! )

set all partitions to FD

formatted all to ext3

rechecked the partitions were still fd with cfdisk, all ok

created raid1 for

md7 = hda/hdc
md8 = hdb1/hdd1

they went of to build.

did a check whith cfdisk and found that hda and hdc had no defined type, but
hdb1 and hdd1 were still down as fd. Left them as they were for now.

rebooted

they both came up and mounted but with the following errors

Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors,
running e2fsck is recommended
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3 FS on md7, internal journal
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode.
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5
seconds
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors,
running e2fsck is recommended
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3 FS on md8, internal journal
Sep  8 19:05:09 Samba4 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode.

ps all the other md's on the scsi's came up clean

so i did

Samba4:/home/mctsskew# e2fsck /dev/md7
e2fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 30156840 blocks
The physical size of the device is 30156816 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>? no

/dev/md7 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/md7: 11/15089664 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 481736/30156840 blocks

and

Samba4:/home/mctsskew# e2fsck /dev/md8
e2fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 39062039 blocks
The physical size of the device is 39062016 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>? no

/dev/md8 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/md8: 11/19546112 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 621574/39062039 blocks

Is the difference in superblock because mdadm had made the usable space
availiable the same on both drives because there may be slight differencts
between the mirrored disks.

when a raid is created with mdadm, does it automatically overwrite the last
superblock with the new or does the old superblock have to be cleared
manually before a new one is created, if so how is that done.

With md7 and md8 now being seen and enabled and mounted at boot, is there a
real problem or is it a ghost problem, ie it says there is but there isn't.

when using fschk, is it done on /dev/md or is it done on each disk/partition
making up the raid

if you create a raid1 with mdadm do you create the filesystem before or
after the raid is assembled.

Many thanks

Ken