Re: Help!

On Wed, September 7, 2005 1:59 pm, Olle Eriksson wrote:
>> > I don't think people should ever have to read documents in
>> > order to use a product. Requiring people to read the docs
>> > suggests that the product itself isn't designed well enough
>> > that it explains its own usage.

You claim that it allows programmers to be lazy - I challenge that it makes
the end user lazy and also dangerous when they do not read and understand what
they are doing before they do it.  The click first and ask questions later
approach does not actually work very well.  At this company we have a
department that fits this bill completely: accounting.

> I'm not too familiar with the new installer, but couldn't there be a
> question about whether or not a GUI should be installed and have the GUI
> as the default option. People who know what they are doing can select the
> non-GUI option and the rest will probably be happy with getting a GUI.

You think the current installer is hard?  It's almost mindless - you can just
keep pressing enter and everything will be fine for most newbies.

Disclaimer:
This communication represents the official view of the voices in my head and
should not be confused with whatever voices you are hearing.