Re: pager changed after upgrade from woody to sarge:

Thomas,

as root, i ran:
update-alternatives --config pager

here is the output:
There are 4 alternatives which provide `pager'.

  Selection    Alternative
      1        /bin/more
*+    2        /usr/bin/less
      3        /usr/bin/most
      4        /usr/bin/w3m

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection
number: 2
Using `/usr/bin/less' to provide `pager'.

unfortunately, this did not fix my problem. looks like
less is already my default pager; i do not override
this in ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc.