Re: 2 NIC card questions

This setup seems ok to me. Even though eth cards are very cheap, you can keep the existing realtek. I have one computer here in a similar condition, but running coyote linux. Its very easy to setup a linux firewall. I'm no expert and found no problem.

Adam wrote:

I currently am running a Debian Stable server with two NIC cards. Only one NIC card is configured and providing the machine Internet access.

The two NICs are:

1 RealTek (forget model number) - 10 MB/S
1 Network Everywhere (tulip) 10/100 MB/S

Now I was thinking of possibly using my machine as a nice Linux Firewall.

Now my Internet is only 20KB/s Down and 20KB/S UP so my question is if this is the proper way to setup a Linux firewall/gateway/server.

I figured the best way would be to hook up the cable modem to the Realtek card and hook up my router to the 10/100 so everything on the Network remains 10/100. I figured since the Internet can't even go 1MB/s, the Realtek card could easily handle the Internet, also this way I don't have to waste the card/get rid of it and get a new one.

This will also free up one port on my router so if for some reason I ever need an extra port for a computer say I am gonna try to fix or something.

--
Love Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulnes, Gentleness, Self-Control. ^^ You need all of these.