postfix / gmail

Hi

I've been trying vainly to get my home server which uses dynamic DNS to send
mail externally via my gmail account.

Gave up on exim4, the config of postfix seems clearer in general.

Obviously SMTP auth is required, and I don't want my password being sent in the
clear.

I have most config done, am connecting OK , but not authenticating. Here's what
I get in the logs:

Sep  4 22:36:33 localhost postfix/smtp[2691]: certificate verification failed
for gmail-smtp.l.google.com: num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
Sep  4 22:36:33 localhost postfix/smtp[2691]: certificate verification failed
for gmail-smtp.l.google.com: num=27:certificate not trusted
Sep  4 22:36:33 localhost postfix/smtp[2691]: certificate verification failed
for gmail-smtp.l.google.com: num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
Sep  4 22:36:33 localhost postfix/smtp[2691]: Server certificate could not be
verified

So I guess this means that my postfix is trying to authenticate the gmail server
and failing, right?

I have the gmail and thawte certs in ~root/.cert and they check out ok with the
command:

openssl s_client -connect pop.gmail.com:995 -CApath .certs

So does this mean that postfix cannot find them? I did run c_rehash .certs as
root, it did seem to work.

Am I on the right track as to what the problem is? Any help or pointers much
appreciated.

regards

Daniel