Hard links to directories

Dear All,

Is there a way of switching on permission to have hard links to
directories?

Is there a rationale for disallowing this?  What I'm trying to do is to
set up my file system so that, rather as with apt-get, files and entire
directories survive only as long as they are wanted.  Wanted
can be cheaply and easily implemented as a hard link for files, but my
attempts to make hard directory links throw up a message saying that this
isn't allowed.

Is the no hard links to directories policy a function of the file system
or of the OS?  At the moment I'm using Reiserfs - not sure which version
as the installer didn't say but I'd guess v3.  I am under the impression
that v1&2 were experimental only and that 4 hasn't been out long.  Please
don't quote me on that and do correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks all.

--
Max