Re: different From: addresses with mutt, etc.

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:07:44AM -0700, paslist@ultrasw.com wrote:
> have three different email addresses that I send messages from.
> With Thunderbird the From: address was set automatically
> correctly depending which folder I was in.  Using Esc-F still
> requires that I type the complete address.

I've never used it, but it seems like the folder-hook
command in mutt would do what you want:
http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#folder-hook

If it behaves like the rest of the *-hook commands, you'd do
something like so in your ~/.muttrc file:

folder-hook mailbox-name 'my_hdr From: My Name <myemail@domain.com>'

> Another important feature that I haven't found yet is a good way
> to filter messages automatically.  It looks like the 'mailbox' is
> part of the answer.

Filtering isn't mutt's job. You'll want to use a separate
filtering program, like procmail. Your ~/.procmailrc file
would contain blocks like so:

:0
* ^TO_.*debian-user
debian-user

which will take any message addressed (via the To:, Cc:,
 Bcc:, etc. fields) to debian-user and filter it into the
debian-user folder.

I hope this helps,
Steve

--