RE: Windows Server to Debian migration

> I am the network administrator for one school of my
> university and I am considering migrating our Windows 2000
> Server to Debian due to some stability issues and of course
> the financial factors.
>
> We only have one windows server in the network and it is
> providing nearly every service offered on our network.  It is
> configured with Active Directory and DNS, serves student web
> pages, provides ftp access, acts as a file server,
> authenticates logins, and is probably used to send
> pornographic spam to the children of th world when I'm not
> paying attention.
>
> Being one of Microsofts finest products, it provides ALMOST
> an entire week of solid performance before a yet unknown
> application kills the server process preventing all logins
> including logging into or unlocking the console, meaning it
> requires a press of the power button to shutdown windows.
> The weekly reboots required to keep the server functional are
> annoying because they always seem to be required when it is
> least convienant for me to make the 30 min ride into work to
> press the power button twice and drive home... so its time to
> start working toward a more stable solution.
>
> I've been researching this problem for over 6 months trying
> every far-out idea I come across to find the cause to no
> avail... I give up, so either I rebuild the network with W2K
> server, or go with linux.  Considering I'll never get the
> funds to upgrade to a new Windows server version in the
> future, likely forcing me to go with linux at that point; I
> figure I'll just get ahead of the game and go linux now.
>
> My questions for all of you very helpful type people are:
>
> 1.  The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2500 dual Xeon, 1GB RAM
> with a PERC 3/Di RAID controller, would I have any issues
> with hardware support?  I'm pretty sure I'll be ok, but I'd
> love to have someone tell me that it's better than
> supported... It's flawless."  Or something close!
>
> 2.  Is it possible to build and configure the server on a
> spare workstation, then when I am satisfied with the
> configuration and have tested everything, migrate the
> configuration from the workstation to the actual server
> hardware (I can't afford the down time it would take my
> newbie ass to install and configure everything).  If so, how
> difficult is this and could I get a rough overview of the
> process to get my research started?
>
> 3.  I currently have 3 Debian servers on the network, one
> LAMP server for our intranet and two 750 GB file servers
> (one's a rsnapshot backup of most of the other) providing
> data storage, and disk based backups of the windows server.
> The file servers currently use winbind to authenticate their
> Samba shares to the Active Directory... What will I have to
> do so that these servers will still allow access once the
> Windows Server is gone.  Will I have to create 200+ users on
> each of my Samba servers, or should I use some sort of
> [...]

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far!

Right now I am trying to decide how I will migrate from a test server I will
be setting up to to the production server.  I always work a project
backwards when planning, that way I always know where I'm going.

If I used dd to copy the disks, and assuming I didn't compile a custom
kernel, should the changes in hardware really matter.  Both machines will
use smp kernels, so essentially wouldn't the new hardware be detected and
just work?

If not, I figure once I have the test server configured and ready for the
real thing I can use
	dpkg --get-selections > file
and
	dpkg --get-selections < file
To replicate the installed packages on the production server.  But that
done, how do I replicate the configuration of those packages between
machines.  I simply need the configuration of all the packages, the
structure of my OpenLDAP install, apache, ftp, samba, and any other
customizations I make.  Any accounts and data I created on the test server
can be recreated.

Is there a tool or other simple way to do this.  Or should I just keep a log
of every file I modify and just copy those files.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I really don't want to do this piecemeal
as suggested, mostly because I think the first thing I would need to set up
is ldap since other services may need to be configured to authenticate
against it... and I'm not sure I want to try and figure out how to integrate
ldap with a windows AD server for authentication.

Does anyone have any experience replicating a Debian install from one
machine to a entirely different machine?  I'm sure it's been done, but what
is the easiest way to maintain package configuration and account for the
enormous changes in hardware?

Joe