Re: Re: Re: simple exim configuration

From: Simo PW Kauppi [mailto:swk@nic.fi]
Sent: 9/3/2005 2:20:56 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re: simple exim configuration

> The is value should be your local username i.e. in your case I guess
> 'paul' in all three accounts (if you want all three accounts to deliver
> mail to user 'paul').

done.  This allowed me to send a message to paslist which is not currently being read by fetchmail but messages to waterhorse or pslist are frozen along with many others.

> > > I guess the main problem here is the name of your machine.
> >
> > /etc/mailname is blank.  Do you mean that I should use mail.ultrasw.com ?
>
> No, the /etc/mailname is used to resolve the domain part of the email
> address. If you send mail to e.g. paul (without any @something), then
> whatever is in your /etc/mailname is appended to the username with @.

So my machine name is 'joy'.  Is that what I should use?

> > > See also the question G11 in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html.
> >

> It describes the problem about the name resolving. I.e. when your exim
> sends the mail to the smarthost, it must tell the smarthost where the
> connection is coming from. More often than not, the name must match the
> the name which the smarthost gets when doing the reverse DNS.

How do I know what that would be?  ultrasw.com ?

> I'm not sure, but I think the exim uses the /etc/mailname to tell the
> smarthost where the mail is coming from.
>
> In exim4-config the /etc/mailname is called visible_name (if I recall
> correctly).

That's not in any of my exim4 config files except:
conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs:.ifndef DC_visiblename
conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs:DC_visiblename=DEBCONFvisiblenameDEBCONF
conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs:.ifdef DC_visiblename
conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs:qualify_domain = DC_visiblename

> After fixing the is-parameters, you could try to set the visible_name to
> 'localhost' and check the exim log for the results.

Since I am using dpkg-reconfigure where would I change this without interfering with debconf?

I have learned about eximon and I have a large number of frozen messages.  Can I free them up without losing them?

I found /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz and learned to set /etc/email-addresses.  Now I can send myself test messages at both addresses that fetchmail is currently reading!!!!!  I have also just sent a test message to another list I am subscribed to!!!!!

Now I just need to be able to set the 'From:' address in mutt so I can sent messages to lists that need the from address to be different than waterhorse.

Thank you so much for your patience,

Paul