Re: Sarge Sound Issues

Ben Alls wrote:

kde uses oss by default, try to set arts to use ALSA in the KControl panel. go to sound options, and advanced (i think) to change the driver to alsa rather than oss. if that doesnt work, try un-installin alsa and adding snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss to you /etc/modules file. it worked for me. i have the same sound card :) another hint.... dont use kde or gnome :P

Thanks for the info. Did you possibly confuse me with another post? I posted about a media player problem with movie trailer and clips which is now resolved. Perhaps you are saying that the sound is part of the problem? I had to use ALSA-OSS on a previous testing version of sarge to get sound working on my YMF724F card but sound worked right out of the box on sarge stable, so, I think I'll stay with it unless I start having problems. Regarding KDE, I prefer a GUI over a console. I only use konsole for upgrading and troubleshooting and file location. Perhaps I'm being cced on someone else's post. I do know a person who has a sound issue with his card using sarge testing but it's no a Yamaha card. I'll keep your suggestions in mind just in case. It sounds just like what i had to do on sarge testing to get sound going.

Leonard Chatagnier