Re: nohup, but not nohup.out -- how to?

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 02:03:15PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:
>
> > 	nuhup somecommand > somefile & sleep 1; tail -f somefile
>
> That will write "nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'" to the file
> somefile :-)
>
> The output from somecommand will still end up in nohup.out.

No it won't.  At least not on my system for a simple command like
'ls':

maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ ls
Desktop  Mail  Makefile  News  az  commands  cvs  pl  prog  tmp  web
maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ nohup ls > somefile & sleep 1; tail -f somefile
[1] 10084
[1]+  Done                    nohup ls >somefile
Makefile
News
az
commands
cvs
pl
prog
somefile
tmp
web

maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ ls
Desktop  Mail  Makefile  News  az  commands  cvs  pl  prog  somefile  tmp  web
maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ cat somefile
Desktop
Mail
Makefile
News
az
commands
cvs
pl
prog
somefile
tmp
web
maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ ls nohup*
ls: nohup*: No such file or directory
maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ nohup --version
nohup (GNU coreutils) 5.2.1

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse