Re: nohup, but not nohup.out -- how to?

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:59:21AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I am very fond of doing "nohup somecommand & sleep 1; tail -f
> nohup.out" to start a background job and then watch its output.  Then
> I can stop watching the output and log out and the job continues.
>
> But what I don't like is that it is writing to nohup.out.  I'd prefer
> another filename, one that I can set on the command line.

I'm wary of offering suggestions to someone who can play around with
command lines better than I ever could, but doesn't something like:

	nuhup somecommand > somefile & sleep 1; tail -f somefile

do what you want?

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)