Re: Prelinking

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:56:04AM +0100, Mark Crean wrote:
> I wonder if anyone with experience of installing and using prelink
> would tell me whether they've found it worthwhile or not. Also, is the
> process irrevocable in practice

On a slow machine, I've noticed very slight improvements (slight enough
to be imagined) with C++ apps (the KDE suite for example), that didn't
quite make it usable enough.

On faster machines, I haven't noticed an improvement.

Note that these are not emperically measured.

> or can I back out and uninstall if it doesn't work that well?

You are unlikely to have a negative impact with prelink. If you did, you
would need to re-install the packages which own all the binaries that it
modified, to completely reverse it's effects.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/