root on LVM

Hello everybody,
I tried to convert the root to LVM using LVM10 tools (deb: lvm10) on 2.4.27 kernel (deb: kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp), but after an lvmcreate_initrd and reboot I get:
cramfs: wrong magic.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:00.

I searched the web and the only info I found is that it is not possible using Debian unless compiling a custom kernel.
Is this correct or do I have other chances?
(I tried installing a 2.6.8 kernel on the machine, an HP NetServer LH4, but I got kernel panic messages:
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!)

Best regards,
Marco Ballini

Libero Flat, sempre a 4 Mega a 19,95 euro al mese!
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it