privoxy (was Re: OT: Who will switch to (or at least try out) Opera now that they have free registrations?)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:12:05AM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
} On Aug 30 2005, Ian wrote:
} > My main reason for not using Opera is the lack of extensions. I can't
} > live without Adblock now.
}
} I have never used adblock (or any extension at all, to be honest, since
} I've heard that they decrease the stability of the browser), but using
} privoxy as a proxy blocks a lot of ads.
}
} I'd really recommend it. Sometimes, it blocks so much ads that the pages
} load *a lot* faster than without using privoxy.
}
} I think that this package should be better known and used, IMVHO.

I'll second that. Privoxy is fantastic. For those who don't know, privoxy
is what became of JunkBuster. With less than 40 lines in an action file, I
block the vast majority of ads and web bugs.

Of course, the combination of the GreaseMonkey and Platypus extensions for
Firefox have improved my web reading experience at least as much. In
particular, the Isolate and Relax buttons on Platypus let me strip away
everything other than that one column of content on any news (or, at least,
article-based) web site I read often enough to make it worth it. Gone are
the headers and sidebars and sponsored links. It's nice.

} Hope this helps, Rog?rio.
--Greg