Re: changelog names are not displayed properly

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

Jan C. Nordholz wrote:

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:13:13PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
Using Debian Sid, I have apt-listchanges package installed which displays the changelog before installing the packages. However, in this changelog, The names are not displayed properly. For example the upgrade xpad package shows

xpad (2.9-2) unstable; urgency=low

* Fix broken entries in changelog
* Bump standards version, no changes
* Fix clean target to clean po/

-- S<C3><B8>ren Boll Overgaard <boll@debian.org> Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:30:11 +02
00

The author name is displayed as S<C3><B8>ren .....
How can I avoid this error?

Hi,

debian package changelogs are encoded in Unicode, where every character
with an ASCII value > 128 is represented as two bytes. To properly read
such files, invoke a terminal emulator in Unicode mode - e.g. xterm has a wrapper script "uxterm" which does just that, provided you have configured
at least one UTF locale ('locale -a' shows all configured locales, and
'dpkg-reconfigure locales' will let you re-choose).
1) which terminal emulator does apt-listchanges use by default? man apt-listchanges says that it uses $PAGER by default. But I do not have $PAGER set, so I wonder which terminal emulator it is using.

2) How do I know whether my locales are UTF compatible?
I have

kusumanchi% locale -a
POSIX

Are they UTF compatible? or do I need to install new locales?

You have only one locale (with two names), and that is the only one which cant be removed. You should install the locales package and generate some locales. The encoding (ie UTF-8) follows the locale name in the list. Currently I have the en_US and en_US.UTF-8 locales generated.

HTH,
Michael Spang