Re: Desktop System Requierments

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:36:15PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:

My wife is using sarge on a Pentium I 200 mhz, 96 mb ram, 2 gb disk.
I've set it up a week or so ago, so final results are not in yet.  So
far, it works just fine with XFCE using firefox.

Openoffice takes several minutes to start, but once launched, it
responds slowly, but adequately.  She's not interested in other word
processors, yet... ;)

You may want to see if she likes Abiword.  It now supports the OASIS
file format (same as OOo) and is much lighter than OOo.  This is a great
alternative if all she needs is a word processor.

-Roberto

I have a amd k6 300MHz with 196MB ram with sarge/xfce4. It was only base system that I used to ssh from work to home. But as my main system died, I improvised xfce4 in it. And Abiword is behaving very well, to my surprise.