Re: Desktop System Requierments

On 08/30/2005 01:20 AM, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:48:16PM -0600, Ð???ä?? vÎ?????? wrote:
>
>>Hello, can someone tell me the basic system requirements for some Linux
>>Desktops? i just need the processor speed and amount of ram required for
>>Gnome, KDE, XFCE4, and Fluxbox, if someone could tell me these that would be
>>just great. thanks in advance.
>

> XFCE and Fluxbox are very lightweight.  They will run on just about
> anything short of a toaster.  GNOME and KDE are more resource intensive.
> As a benchmark, my wife runs GNOME on a P-III 700 MHz 256 MB RAM and
> keeps up OK.  It can be a little sluggish at time, but not nearly as bad
> as the legacy OS from the northwestern US.
>
> A minimum 1 GHz CPU is required if you want the nice eye candy without a
> horrible slow down.  More RAM, at least 512 MB, will also be very
> beneficial.
>
> Even though XFCE and Fluxbox are fairly light, once you fire up Mozilla
> and OpenOffice, they start to slowdown as well.  So if you use those or
> other heavy apps, consider more resources.
>
> -Roberto

My wife is using sarge on a Pentium I 200 mhz, 96 mb ram, 2 gb disk.
I've set it up a week or so ago, so final results are not in yet.  So
far, it works just fine with XFCE using firefox.

Openoffice takes several minutes to start, but once launched, it
responds slowly, but adequately.  She's not interested in other word
processors, yet... ;)

You should search the archives; this subject has been discussed
frequently in the past year or two.

Regards,
Ralph