Re: OT: Electoral College [Re: U.S. federal income tax program]

Paul Johnson wrote:
> No, it was in hopes that out of each state, there would be at least N number
> of people who knew how to read.

    Bzt.  And let's try this again.  Paul...  think carefully.  Exactly what
would they be reading if they could read?  Remember...  NO MASS MEDIA.  Any
publications would be, more often than not, devoting most of their coverage to
the local candidate for the president.  The very same candidate who would have
an easy time campaigning in a small geographical location.  Well, small by
today's standards.

    The point was to look outside that small area, the local state, and to
look at other candidates.  Something that the vast majority of people could
not do even if they were literate.  Something, as I stated, that today most of
them don't do.