Gnome desktop sounds not playing, all other sound works fine

All sound works fine on my sarge desktop --
realplayer, music player etc.

The only exception is the Gnome desktop sounds --
login, logout, error etc.  These do not play at all,
even when 'play' is selected for the various wav files
indicated in gnome-sound-properties (all of which
exist, and can be played from other apps.)

KDE desktop sounds work fine (I am considering a move
to KDE, but I've not yet gotten all my apps working
properly there, so different topic.)

I've tried manually editing
$HOME/.gnome2/sound/events/gnome-2.soundlist.
gnome-sound-properties picks up the changes, but the
sounds still don't play.

Thanks in advance for any info...