Two questions about building kernels

I'm building 2.6.12 kernels for my own machine. Two things are rather problematical:

The content of .config looks like a Makefile snippet. If it is one, can I add to it the values I want for CC & CFLAGS so they are tied to a particular build configuration when I need to re-do it?

and
The "official" kernel images are all built with initrd. My build complains about the size (number of blocks) in the initrd fs. Where is the parameter to create a smaller number of larger "disks" in the initrd fs?

Aw, heck! I might as well add the third -- Why my non-initrd kernel won't boot? It panics with Cannot open root device on (3,01), please specify a correct root.
My lilo.conf indeed says root=/dev/hda1 which is correct.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.