Re: Debian running on VMware Workstation

> >   "You need the kernel sources installed with a valid configuration
> >    file for the running kernel; on SuSE, you have to do a "make
> >    cloneconfig" at a minimum.  I don't know if the Debian kernel has
> >    the same option or not."
> >   [last help message from a VMware newsgroup]
> >
> > I know it needs at least "version.h" but I suspect it needs a lot more
> > than this.

actually you need the kernel-headers package matching your current running kernel version.
check that with:
uname -a
then apt-get install kernel-headers-<exact version string>

kernel headers will be linked from /lib/modules/<version>/build , that should be sufficient to compile your kernel module.

that said, I'm not sure it's related to your screen problem, for that you should use the vmware X driver.

check the driver and the resolution here:
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
and error messages here:
/var/log/XFree86.0.log