Re: Debian running on VMware Workstation

Should have mentioned I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 with a default installation off the net install CD. VMware is version 5.0.

-- Martin

Martin Dowie wrote:

I've got Debian running on a VMware Workstation (hosted on WinXP Pro).

I'm trying to configure it to run at higher screen resolutions than the 800*600 it can manage just now.

The producers of VMware have a package that I've downloaded and am now trying to configure but it seems to require:

  "You need the kernel sources installed with a valid configuration
   file for the running kernel; on SuSE, you have to do a "make
   cloneconfig" at a minimum.  I don't know if the Debian kernel has
   the same option or not."
  [last help message from a VMware newsgroup]

I know it needs at least "version.h" but I suspect it needs a lot more than this.

Has anyone managed this on Debian?

Any help on what I might need to "apt-get install" or whatever would be much appreciated.

-- Martin