Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

marco_elen wrote:
> I finally could install Sarge on an HP NetServer LH4. (I could post
> a report when I'll have all the probelms solved).

The problems you are having just seem so strange.  I used to have four
netservers running Debian.  But have recently upgraded them to faster
and newer hardware and so can't confirm your troubles.  But they had
been running fine with woody.

> First I installed Woody, then I upgraded to Sarge.
> I also updated the kernel from 2.2.20 to kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp.
> After some problems I could get a working Sarge.

Good.  But I would push on to a 2.6 kernel.  That would open up even
more support in terms of discover, hotplug and udev.

In fact could your installation troubles may be because you were
selecting a 2.4 kernel at isntall time?  If so then I really strongly
recommend installing with a 2.6 kernel at Debian Sarge installation
time.

> But I also found that the cdrom isn't working anymore:
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /cdrom
> gives: /dev/hda not a valid block device.
> I can get it to work using old kernel on the rescue diskette, but don't know how to solve this.
>
> Does anybody have any hint?

It was not clear if you were using lilo or grub but personally I
prefer grub so that I can stack up a lot of kernels during testing and
in cases like this.

I would upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.  Then install discover, hotplug and
udev.  That combination has great success detecting hardware and
automatically configuring it for the system.  Then I would clean
/etc/modules of unneeded modules and let the autodetection do as much
of it as possible.

If you install Debian Sarge with the 2.6 kernel then you get the above
configuration automatically.

Bob