A question about logrotate

I ran out of space in a 9 Gbyte /var directory, most of the space consumed by debug, kern.log and syslog files. With a little searching I found the logrotate command and realized these files were being rotated. In /var/log I found a large (approximately 1 Gbyte) syslog file plus an equally large syslog.0 file and seven syslog.n.gz files where n=1..7. The same was true of the debug and kern.log files. Examining the /etc/logrotate.conf file I found nothing that corresponded to this rotation scheme so there must be a default somewhere. To free space I added the following lines to the logrotate.conf file:

/var/log/debug {
   missingok
   daily
   rotate 1
}

/var/log/kern.log {
   missingok
   daily
   rotate 1
}

/var/log/syslog {
   missingok
   daily
   rotate 1
}

and then ran logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf.

This freed up 3 Gbytes of space but it perhaps is a very crude solution. As I noted above, the files were being rotated but not according to the logrotate.conf file so there must be a default somewhere. Where? Should I try to find and edit it? Does anyone have a well thought out logrotate.conf file or more detailed information than that given in the man pages?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Tom George