disappearing ide disks

OS is Debian sarge stable. Computer is a Dell 1400 server box with a
kind of vestigial IDE controller -- enough to read a CD ROM, but not
much more. It doesn't do DMA.

I installed a PCI bus IDE card with a couple big IDE disks for a client
with lots of data. The BIOS sees them and the installer sees, formats,
adds fstab records, and builds mount points for them (hde and hdg). But
the 2.4.27 kernels (single and dual processor) don't seem to see them.
At boot the mounts fail, and fdisk and mount both say there are no such
devices -- nothing between the CD ROM (hda) and hdi. I looked for some
IDE-SCSIs too. And I tried 2 controllers and moved them around in the
slots some. These are not bleeding edge cards.

The card in there now is, according to lspci -v:

0000:01:04.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
20269 (rev 02) (prog if 85)
The subsystem is Promise Technology, Ultra133TX2

I'm guessing some module isn't getting loaded, but I can't figure out
which one.

Anybody seen this and know what's going on? Or have more informed
guesses??

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com