Re: Originating mail problem

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:12:07AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm trying to get mail working through my isp and have a basic problem. My
> isp, bellsouth, requires a username and password to permit mail being
> relayed through them. Firefox and Mozilla have sections in the SMTP server
> options to put that. However I cannot find where I need to place them when
> using the "mail" command line program. I am running postfix and see
> usernames and passwords mentioned in the documentation, but it looks like
> that's for using this system as a server not a place for me to store mine
> for use by the bs server.
>
> Can anyone please enlighten me? Running a very recent install of Sarge.

Jim,

I'm sorry to see that you are a BellSouth customer :-(.

For Postfix, simply place into /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd (create it if
not already there):

outgoing.server.bellsouth.net me@bellsouth.net:mypassword

Make *sure* that the file is mode 0600 or 0400 (i.e., only readable by
root).

Then, in /etc/postfix/main.cf add these lines:

relayhost = [outgoing.server.bellsouth.net]

Then, as root, run:

 # postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
 # postfix reload

HTH,