Re: Originating mail problem

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:12:07AM -0400 or thereabouts, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm trying to get mail working through my isp and have a basic problem. My
> isp, bellsouth, requires a username and password to permit mail being
> relayed through them. Firefox and Mozilla have sections in the SMTP server
> options to put that. However I cannot find where I need to place them when
> using the "mail" command line program. I am running postfix and see
> usernames and passwords mentioned in the documentation, but it looks like
> that's for using this system as a server not a place for me to store mine
> for use by the bs server.

No that's wrong. 8)

> Can anyone please enlighten me? Running a very recent install of Sarge.

Set up the MTA to do the work (Postfix will do this for you via SMARTHOST
options). Then 'mail', and other CLI e-mail apps <ie> mutt would use Postfix for
sending outbound, heck I even have TBird using my MTA on my Debian Box to my
SMARTHOST.

You'll have to search debian-user for help in configuring Postfix to do this, I
use Exim4 myself.

--
Steve <http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/>
Sunday Aug 28 2005 07:35:02 PM EDT