Re: I messed up bootmisc.sh - now can't log in!

Alan Ianson wrote:

On Sat August 27 2005 06:38 pm, dwilliams1066@netscape.net wrote:
Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
On Sat August 27 2005 05:28 pm, dwilliams1066@netscape.net wrote:
I've tried booting off a cd-rom and mounting the disk, but I can't get
the disk to mount for some reason.  I'm willing to try pretty much
anything at this point.
My default grub menu list has a "recovery" option. If that option isn't
there for some reason edit your grub boot command line and try adding
"single" to the end. I've never tried it manually before but I have used
the recovery mode a few times and I think that's the only difference.
Ah, but there's the problem.  I can't log in to edit anything.  Is there
a way to make a menu come up?  (Am I missing something, besides a system
prompt of course  ;-)

At the grub menu, before the kernel boots. Hit a key to stop the default from booting and I believe if you press "e" you can edit the boot command. Just add "single" to the end and then boot that way. That will boot in recovery mode I think. I hope mysql isn't loading in that mode ;). If that doesn't work you may need to boot with a knopix or ubuntu disk and edit whatever needs editing that way.

Ha. If its running from the startup runlevel then you could always add init=/bin/bash to your command line. But why would you have MySQL in /etc/rcS.d/? Also, you don't need to type out 'single', just S will work fine.

HTH,
Michael Spang